Tuesday 16 June 2015

Now Is It Hometime?

Hello everybodies, how are you? I am fabulous, but a bit confused. Yesterday me and Cyd did a really long pony ride, further than we've gone by ourselves before. Cyd wanted to make a map of the trails we ride most often. There are more for us to explore, but we wanted to print out the ones we have so Uncle J can find us if he needs to. This meant we rode nearly every trail I have yesterday, to get them all on one strava screen. We went up my hill the usual way, and only had a bit of troubles when I could hear something around the corner. There was noises, and we thought maybe it was a wildlifes. Cyd was about to call out but then we heard an ATV start up and ride away from us. We went forwards with caution, since we heard them turn around. They were going very slow, but the driver was facing the wrong way and nearly didn't see us. His friend pointed us out, but they didn't stop. Just as Cyd was asking them to pause and let us by, I said No Way Jose and spun around so I could save us. They were very apologetic, and turned off the quad. They said how pretty I was and how grown up I look, we ran into the same kids over a year ago when I was just starting out. We got past and said many thankings for stopping, then off we went. Next down the rocky road, then along the fun trail where I like to fly. We had to wait a minute at the cattle grid cos for someone in a truck (not an official truck, a little concerning) to go by, but they waved us through and gave me loads of room to pass. Now for my favourite bit of trail! We were cantering quite fast, and Cyd didn't realise that I've totally learned the route. We go along this trail, then take the right fork up the hill. So that's what I did. We nearly parted company, cos for Cyd planning on us going straight ahead. I realised what she was asking at the last minute and changed course to go the way she told and we took off again. It wasn't far down that trail that I realised this means we missed the turn for home. I did some tantrumming, then did my stopping. Cyd ended up getting off me and made me trot behind her. She said if I insisted on doing stopping so bad that she has to get off then I have to work extra hard to make up for it. We did walking after a while, then stopped to let me eat some of my favourite snacks before she got back on.
Nomnom daisies
Wearing daisies, eating daisies, just love daisies :)
There's a squiggly bit of getting around a gate but there being a giant crater on the tiny gap by the gate so Cyd didn't get back on until we passed through there. Once we were back on the trail, I was ready to do some trottings. Cyd decided to do movie-ing on her phone with one hand, and since I was being so good she only had two fingers kinda hooked on my rein with the other hand, and I had big loopy reins. So please forgive the kerfuffle a few seconds in when a turkey took off from right next to me...
Look how quick I settle back in to grown up trottings again though! He just startled me a bit is all, and Cyd didn't fall down so we're all good. It was so pretty and green on this section, even though lots of the places around us are getting brown.
So pretty here
I had no troubles along here, and did loads of trottings practice and got really good at slowing down by myself when I needed to be careful of the ruts, and where it was a bit slippy, then speeding up at good spots. At the top of the hill we were back at the cattle grid. We stopped for some snackings, then Cyd said it was time to go. But we already did this trail, and over the cattle grid is the quick way home. But nope, we had to go this way. Cyd ended up getting off and we ran together a bit on the down parts, then she got on for the fun parts, and did more movie-ing of me. Excuse some of my bouncing, I get a bit carried away and even though we were going fast I was still a bit mad that Cyd made me go this way instead.
This time we did take the right fork, and I zoomed like a rocket up there and made Cyd actually use her reins to do stopping. There's a spot where we could get tangled in the long sharp grasses, and things to hop over and trees to bump Cyd's knees on. I did a very bouncy walk until she let me do trottings again. I was so excited that we were going the right way again! Once we made it up to the rocky road I just did walking on a long rein, looking around at all the things, a few trotting steps some places, but generally being a good pony.
You can't see it, but we're looking at the oceans
We turned onto the trail for home and I was happy but polite. But then you know what happened? We got to the last intersection, where straight goes to home, and right goes down the bumpy trail the long way to home, and of course we go the long way. Cyd pre-empted me, and hopped off before I could have any issues and was ready for a walk break anyway, so I just followed her. I did make ugly faces to show my grumpiness at not going the quick way though. See how mean I can pretend to be?
Side-eying
I got over it pretty quickly, even though this was Time Number Three we went the wrong way. At the bottom of the hill Cyd got back on, and I did a springy walk again until Cyd let me do trotting. Then I got to do trottings all the way back until we get to the houses on the emergency trail. We walk through there so we don't upset the dogs who live down there, or the pony who lives right next to the trail. I had one more bad moment here, but not for long. We were having an easy walk back on the last bit of trail to go home when we could smell something funny. There must have been people hiding in the bushes cos we could smell them smoking their weeds but Cyd couldn't see them. I thought it was a funny smell and wrinkled my nose up so I got laughed at. A bit more further we could hear someone around the corner, going Hurry Hurry. We kept walking, but carefully. It turned out they were hurrying to pick up their small dogs cos for hearing me coming and not wanting them to get stepped on by me. There were three people and two dogs. One of the peoples kinda knows me, but has only seen me in my field since I was a baby hiking pony. They said how amazing I was, and that I was one of their favourite ponies to see. I got a bit nervous going past the boy, and the mum said he should talk to me so I knew he wasn't scary. He thought this was silly and went 'Oh yeah, hey dude' cos he didn't know what to say to me, and got laughed at, but he petted my nose gently and I got brave and went on by. We did some trotting to get far enough ahead that the little dogs wouldn't try to chase me when they got put on the ground again. Now we just had the squirrelly trail to go and a bit of road, and I would be home! I was still striding out good and had lots of energies, but my brain was tired from all the things we did today, like going the wrong ways, and seeing so many people when we usually see none at all.
Drink all the waters
As soon as we got home Cyd took me to my water tank and stood there until I figured out that we did that so I could drink before getting my saddle off. I was so thirsty! (Cyd counted 42 swallows.) I got a short sponge bath cos for being sweaty but it getting too cold to shower me. Then I dived into my mash foods! I went 14 miles, with nearly 1900' elevation gain, and hit my top speed. Cyd was not delighted with some of my bad behavings, but overall it was a good ride. I was at least consistent in my badness, and we know what to work on for future rides. Just because I know the way home, doesn't mean I get to choose! Today I'm taking a well earned day off.

No comments:

Post a Comment