Friday 4 September 2015

Updates for the Bugsyfans

Hello everybodies, how are you? I am fabulous, though you might not have guessed that cos for Cyd never doing my typing for me! I have been going on lots of pony rides though, of all kinds. And we have some big news. Look what got put in the mail:
I am officially entered in my first 50 mile endurance ride! It is at the same place as where I did my LD ride. Some of my friends are going (big thanks to the Lady In Red for lending us a pony trailer for me to go in). Three of my friends are going, and Cyd says some of my other friends will be there too, so I best be on good behavings. Since I was bad last time, I have to have a red ribbon in my tail just in cases. Cyd always tries to keep me in a space whatever we're doing cos I get nervous if I'm crowded, but last time it was when someone ran behind me to make me do trotting for my vet check (I didn't get her but it's Never Okay To Kick!!). We definitely don't want to take chances!!! (Red ribbons mean 'this pony might kick out', just in cases you didn't know.) 
Pony riding attire

Two of my rides this week have been bareback rides. I didn't even wear my bridle, Cyd just put my headcollar on, and my skinny rope called a tailing lead. After walking up the street, Cyd just looped the rope where it clips on to make a circle, and hopped on. I did amazing, you guys! So good that Cyd has ordered me something called a neck loop, so we can be ready to do pony riding without anything on my head. This is a work in progress of course, but I'm doing really well.

I also went on a pony ride with Aunty V. I did really good at going to the creek cos for being a pro at that now. I did get a bit nervous when a big machine on an even bigger truck drove right by. The driver was very nice and came by super slow to try to not scare us ponies, but it rattled and was really close and I didn't like it. I did dancing on the side of the road, while Cyd held my face and a hand on my belly so I didn't spin my butt into the road. My body stayed in the same spot but my legs were moving super fast cos for wanting to run away but knowing that's not what grown ups do. Everyone laughed at me a little bit.

 
I made it really good up Abalobodiah (we just did walking this time) and even got a bit impatient at how slow everyone was going. We took a breather at the top and Cyd needed to duck behind a bush so we trotted away from my friends by myself, no worries. I was even so good on this ride that I did leading for a bit. Unfortunately halfway home I decided I didn't want to lead anymore, so Aunty V took over the lead but instead of taking me to the back, Cyd made me go ahead and do trotting. Once I trotted away from my friends, I was back to my usual happy self, and we rode back to the trailer by ourselves. I'm a strange pony sometimes. 
Looking back to see if my friends are coming yet
Where are we going so early?
 Today's pony ride was a long distance ride for checking my fitness ready for my Big Adventure. Guess how far I went? Nearly 17 miles! Not only that, but I did more than 2400' of elevation gain (which also means over 2400' of descent, that's a lot of hills). We did similar speed to what I will be doing for my race. We didn't do much downhill trottings cos for it being hard on ponies. At my ride we will do more with Cyd hopping off and running alongside. We practice this sometimes, but not today. I was so good most of the time. I was a little backwards thinking in a couple of spots, like when we were going up a really big hill and there was a choice of turning for home, which we always do on this loopy, or going more up the hill to do the loopy a second time. I thought Cyd might be a bit bonkers, but I reluctantly went up and up again. I barely hesitated at the next turn where we could go home a short way or a long way. I looked the short way, but Cyd said the long way trail so I took off trottings. You know the scariest thing on today's ride? Somebody doing shooting! (Don't panic we were safe!) We were trotting along minding our own business when I did skidding to emergency stop and threw my head up. Cyd was wondering why, then heard it too. I was really scared, but didn't run away. Cyd did listening to try and figure out where they were cos for us not seeing anyone. I was super nervous, so she hopped off and led me down to the road that we had to go along anyway. We found the people, who knew there was a trail there so were not shooting that direction. Cyd got their attention and asked them very nicely to wait a few minutes for us to get out of the area. They were very nice and apologized for scaring me. Usually we don't ask people to stop what they're doing even if I'm nervous, cos I just have to learn to do my job, but this is a bit different from normals. Cyd hopped on and we scooted away back on to the next trail. I was still being so good. I grabbed a bite of snack here and there, and Cyd gave me a bit of her banana. I had got a breakfast mash too, since Cyd didn't want me to get a bellyache.
Early morning trails
I was still full of energy when I got home, so obviously my long ride wasn't very taxing on me even with the big hills and all the trottings. I got washed off and then Cyd went to her truck. I came to the gate and did a lot of whinnying. I wanted my second mash bucket. Turns out I was gettting one, but the supplements were in the car not the barn. I wanted to make sure she didn't forget me. 
My elevation chart from the GPS track of this morning's ride!
Phew! That was a lot to catch up on! I'm really starting to be a great little pony, though definitely can be a bit tricky both on the ground and under saddle. Luckily Cyd knows my tricks and I am improving at most of them, but every now and again I throw in a new one. Stay alert, Cyd! It would be boring if I was a perfect pony all the time!

No comments:

Post a Comment